Re: Digest bread-bakers.v102.n002

Brianjwoody@aol.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:56:04 EST
v102.n004.4
Carolyn wrote:
 > With all due respect, the recent posts about banneton include too much
 > whining about the relative cost of these special dough-rising baskets.
 >  Yes, you COULD proof a rustic loaf in a cheap China-made basket lined
 > with unwashable fabric of unknown origin, or line an ordinary bowl with
 > a linen dish towel, but it won't be the same.  The characteristic imprint
 > made by the beautiful craftsmanship of an Austrian-made brotformen cannot
 > be duplicated by these cut-rate means.  You get what you pay for!

That would be a good argument if it were not normal to buy stuff exported to
America, from England say (made there too|!), and buy it in US at 60% of the
price. Look at CDs if you don't believe me. I have bought German stuff,
clearly marked "made in Germany" in the US at nearly half the price in
Germany, ditto France. The fair price yes.

Regards, Brian