re: KA Mixer problem

"Holly M. Coolidge" <h.coolidge@att.net>
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:38:50 -0500
v102.n005.9
Melissa wrote:

"I have been following the posts on the KA mixers and wondered if anyone
else has had a similar problem. I got my KA almost 13 years ago when I got
married and now the coating on the mixing paddle is coming off. My mixing
paddle and dough hook are both coated in white paint or some other coating
to match the mixer color (I guess). Has anyone else had this happen? Is it
time to find a new mixer? Should I contact KA about the problem? Any
suggestions appreciated."

Hi, Melissa.... I'm Holly.  I'm a student at the Cooking and Hospitality
Institute of Chicago, where we have lots of KA mixers, paddles, dough
hooks, and whisks that get used constantly.  The coating on 90% of them is
chipped, half missing, or completely removed, due to the usage and washing
they get.  Since your's are 13 years old, I'd say they're at a comparable
wear point to ours.  :->  When I use them in lab, I look for one that is
either 95% intact, or one that has the coating completely stripped.  That
way, I'll be less likely to find any little "surprises" in my final
product.  The underlying metal appears to be aluminum, so if you're working
with anything acidic, it could discolor the product.  I would do two
things:  send an email off to KA letting them know about the problem (I'm
sure they have a file full of letters about the problem), and I would buy a
set of new attachments.