caliches? - kolachy?

"Louise Hyson" <lhyson@mindspring.com>
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 23:48:26 -0400
v102.n017.14
Sheila <Sloganrcb@cs.com> asked for a recipe which I think I identify as
kolachy, a mid-European cookie.  I suggested she check out google.com where
there are are a large number of sites with this recipe.  I also told her I
would post an old recipe which I believe is very similar to what she is
looking for and which is quite good.

Yugoslavian Pecan Crescents

2 cups flour (approximately)
1 envelope active dry yeast
Dash of salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine (butter is much better)
2 eggs separated
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup fnely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
Confectioners sugar

In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt.  With pastry blender
or 2 knives cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in egg yolks and sour cream.  Mix well; gather in ball.

On lightly floured surface knead until smooth, 8 to 10 minutes.  Divided in
thirds; wrap each in waxed paper and chill 2 to 3 hours.

To make filling:  in small bowl of mixer beat egg whites until
foamy.  Gradually add 1/4 cup brown sugar and beat until stiff.  Combine
remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar with pecans and vanilla; fold into egg-white
mixture; set aside.  On lightly floured surface roll each piece of dough in
9-inch circle; cut in 8 wedges.  Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling along
wide end of each wedge.  Carefully roll up from wide end to point (filling
is light and some will ooze out).  Press dough where point overlaps.  Shape
in crescent.

Bake point side down about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet in
preheated 375 F oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Sift
confectioners sugar over crescents while warm.  Cool on racks.

Makes 24