hand or machine? - good question

Susan Thomas <susanth@pacinfo.com>
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:59:57 -0700
v102.n018.7
I can't resist responding to someone's question about whether kneading by
hand is better than making bread in a machine. . . .  that discussion could
probably go on forever!  I've made LOTS of bread over the years, taught a
yeast breads class for several years, and do not own a bread
machine.  However, instead of getting into an argumentative mode around
that subject, there's a more important issue I wanted to speak to.

Occasionally someone writes who is quite new to bread making.  What I want
to say to them is not to be intimidated by the long discussion of details
around some subjects.  These are fascinating to many who are long time
bread makers, but I could see that they might overwhelm a person just
beginning.  One of the most wonderful things about making your own bread is
that it's very forgiving:  if you have to leave in the middle of the
kneading, just stick it in the fridge and pick up where you left off
later!  Now that most folks use machines, that should be even truer,
shouldn't it?  (I hope so, anyway!)  Anyway, have fun with it!  It's great
therapy, very creative, and the end result is SO much better than what you
buy in a grocery. :o)

Susan
--
Susan & Jimj Thomas