Sourdough Whole Wheat Bread

Lobo <lobo119@att.net>
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:08:58 -0700
v102.n022.6
Carolyn <drsnooks@buffnet.net>  asked:

 > How much whole wheat flour can be used in sourdough that
 > requires 7 cups of white flour for three loaves of bread??
 > Anyone have experience with whole grains &/or nuts in sourdough?

Just start substituting wheat for white  ... try 1 or 2 cups of whole wheat
the first time and increase or decrease until you find the optimum.

This is my favorite bread recipe in the world.  I use my coffee grinder to
grind the whole grains.  A couple times, it hasn't risen well, but it still
tasted great.  It's very heavy .... a friend to whom I gave a slice said,
"That's like eating a whole meal!"

FUENFKORNBROT

Night before, mix together and let stand at room temp:

1 1/3 cup sour dough
2 c. whole rye, freshly ground
4 cups lukewarm water (or part beer)

And soak 7 T. flaxseeds in water over night in the fridge.

(Instead of the above sourdough mixture, you could start the same day and
use 6 cups expanded sourdough starter and substitute 1 1/3 c. rye flour for
1 1/3 c. of the wheat flour.  Pour boiling water over flax seed in this
case and let it sit a while.)

Next day, add:

2 c. water (or beer)
7 c. flour or freshly ground wheat
2 2/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/3 c. Seven-Grain cereal
1 c. whole barley, ground
2/3 c. oat bran
2 cup oatmeal, ground or whole
3/4 cup sunflower oil
2 T. salt

I've also added:

2 T. sesame seeds
1/4 c. soy flour
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. sunflower seeds

- put dough in a bowl for 2 - 3 hours til it is double. Cover it with a cloth.
- knead again and form a loaf. Cover it with a bit of flour and cover it
with a moist cloth and let it stand for 20 min. on a warm place.
- place a bowl with boiling water on the oven ground.
- bake at 350 40-50 min.