Re:reduced-bran whole wheat

Nifcon@aol.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 09:05:14 EDT
v102.n023.2
Paddy

I've been using sieved wholemeal for about a year now with excellent
results - I just pass the wholewheat through an ordinary kitchen sieve -
which is probably a close approximation of the commercial process to reduce
bran content.

You lose 5% or so of the original weight depending on the fineness of your
sieve and the grind of the flour. When added to doughs it gives a beautiful
colour, all the sweet wheat taste and none of the harsh acrid flavour that
high proportions of bran can produce,  The dough also rises higher and more
stably than unsieved wholewheat. I owe the use of  this ingredient to Peter
Reinhart's recipe for Poolish Baguettes.

John