The long and interesting quest for the perfect loaf...

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Tarheel Boy)
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 00:53:28 -0400 (EDT)
v102.n024.12
Sue Hodder, Mpls. Minnesota wrote:
"Hi, I love to bake bread and I would love to be able to make sourdough
bread like it just came out of the oven in San Francisco. Or, like the
"Artisan Bread" that I buy here in Mpls. MN. Any tips ?"

When I first read this I thought, "Holy Mackerel!  This lady wants "tips"
on how to make San Francisco sourdough.  Tips?  It takes more than tips, my
dear, to get that special tang.  Bakers have tried and argued and talked
about the San Francisco sourdough for years and now she wants tips."  But
then I realized that Sue is reaching out for help just as I did when I
started and as I still do because I am always learning something in this
frustrating, mysterious, and oh-so-satisfying business of baking bread.

So, Sue (so Sue? ;-)))), here are my tips.  Start reading books written by
good bakers (write to me for a suggested list).  Write to and ask questions
of people on this wonderful list.  Realize that you may not ever create a
loaf of San Francisco sourdough bread up there in Gopherland, but you will
probably create something better called "Sue's Super Sourdough."  Go to
www.google.com and type in the words "sourdough bread" or "artisan
bread."  You will be delighted at the wealth of information available to you.

Then start baking.  Experiment a bit with the ingredients.  If your oven
has a window in the door, turn on the light so you can peek at the magic
every now and then as the bread, your bread, bakes.  You have taken simple
ingredients and turned them into a work of art that tastes good. It really
doesn't get any better than that.  Want more help?  Go to the King Arthur
Flour site and look around.  Write to me.  I love to help other bakers.  So
many have helped me, and now, it is my turn to repay their kindnesses.  I
began learning how to bake bread when I retired twelve years ago.  It is
one of the most satisfying things I have ever done, and I'm still learning.

Bob the Tarheel Baker