Re: Reduced bran flour

Rose@thecakebible.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 08:43:35 EDT
v102.n024.13
I was really disappointed when the reduced bran flour was no longer
available because it made the best croissants I've ever tasted and wanted
to try breads using it.  Here's what I worked out after calling the flour
mill that had produced it:  Use 93% unbleached all purpose flour plus 5%
germ (which adds sweetness) and 2% bran.

For the croissants, I originally used 91 grams of Green Mt. Gold (1/2 cup)
and 200 grams of King Arthur all purpose.  Replace this with 285 grams of
King Arthur all purpose, 4 grams of germ, and 2 grams of bran.

Another thought about making your own reduced bran:  sifting out some of
the bran is also a viable solution though less precise, but my fear is you
may lose some germ that way and the germ contributes flavor and sweetness.

Rose