Re: Hearthkit

Pat Robb <pat_robb@pacbell.net>
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 23:48:26 -0700
v102.n028.10
I notice that Marcy Goldman is testing the Hearthkit in her ovens and
promises a review.  I have had mine in my gas oven about 2 months now, and
find each baking experience a new challenge.  The instructions tell you to
set the thermostat very high and then turn it down when the oven
thermometer (which is included) reaches the desired setting   I have
discovered that I need to keep the temperature at least 25 degrees higher
than called for in recipes, and it takes things much longer to bake.  A
fresh berry pie was in the oven for an hour and a half before I was
satisfied that it was done.  The finished product was delicious. A
frequently baked cookie recipe, which bakes at 300 for 30 minutes,  took 45
minutes to reach the desired shade of brown.  Loaves of bread in pans all
come out perfectly, but they are baked at a higher temperature and for a
longer period of time.  I consider myself an experienced baker and can tell
by smell and sight if something is almost done.  Maybe it's just hard to
teach an old dog new tricks, but I am determined to make this work.  I
would be most grateful to hear from anyone else who would share their
experience with this.  Are you only using it for pizza and artisan loaves?
Should I remove it for pies, cakes and cookies?  Any advice or suggestions
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat