re hearthstone oven

"Joan and Larry Ross" <rosskat@pipeline.com>
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:29:03 -0400
v102.n030.3
Hi to the readers with comments/questions about the Hearthstone oven insert:

I have a electric stove ( Sears 30 years old! ) and have had the
Hearthstone oven insert for 2 months ( well, since Mother's day ). I make
primarily pizza and artisan breads. It makes the best pizza crusts I have
ever baked. I too am an experienced baker. My electric oven only heats up
to 550 F and after 1/2 hr I decrease the heat to 450 since the hearthstone
oven thermometer registers at least 500+ F. My pizza takes about 15 to 20
minutes ( more time for thicker dough crust ).

I have also made some basic white flour( French/Italian ) and white flour
sourdough breads and the oven spring is phenomenal plus with bakery texture
& appearance. The baking time also about 20 to 25 minutes per loaf.

I have not tried cakes/quickbreads, cookies or pies or main dish foods
since I primarily use the Hearthstone only for bread products. I bought it
primarily for bread baking thinking most stone ovens are used for that kind
of baking and not other kind of food baking or cooking.

Now on the topic of new things-- Has anyone tired the new silicone baking
sheets?  I own several brands and they are great for cookie baking.

regards
Joan

Visit Joan and Larry's Homepage
Home of: Joan's Baking and Culinary Adventures
http://www.pipeline.com/~rosskat/