Re: machines for kneading AND booksources

Brown_D@pcfnotes1.wustl.edu
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 16:24:37 -0500
v102.n030.14
Sources for out of print books:

try mxbf.com or alibris.com for online used booksellers.

I've been following with interest the discussion on kneading and different
mixers.  I adore my Kitchen Aid, particularly after I bought their
redesigned dough hook 5 or 6 years ago.  However, it no longer does my
breads, because I do them in my cuisinart (which is cheaper than either the
Kitchen Aid or most of its competitiors).  The technique is explained at
length in "the Best Bread Ever" by Charles van Over.  Basically, if you're
using instant yeast, you mix the dry ingredients in the cuisinart using the
regular metal blade (not the plastic "dough' blade), then pour in the
liquids and let it mix.  When the dough starts to come together, I stop it
and let rest for about 5-15 minutes, to let the flour hydrate, then
complete the mixing with about 45 seconds on full power.

This method is quick, easy, very reliable with white or whole wheat doughs.
Its only real drawback is that you are limited in the recipe size (I use a
14C cuisinart bowl for 300-500 gm flour (essentially a single loaf's worth)).

I would urge anyone who is interested to check out the book.  I am not
quite sure of the spelling of the author's name because I haven't kept the
book--his recipes are ok, but not outstanding, but the technique was a real
find.

Diane Brown