Re: overnight rise

Bill Stanford <stanford@labyrinth.net.au>
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:01:35 +1000
v102.n034.10
Just speaking with Ben here: overnight rises are a _big_ plus.  The
breadmaker I have (a local Breville Big Loaf) locks one into its cycles;
and unless I do more than two rises I don't really get a good height and
crumb, especially from wholemeals etc.

But if I make dough at 11pm, rise for 3 hours then knead, rise, knock down,
rise again and bake - at 7am, every day, we've a beautiful loaf...

I don't rise in the fridge, just on the timer in the warm breadmaker. But
Ben's right, you have to watch the amount of yeast used.  For a 750g loaf
(that's a 1-1/2lb loaf for most of you guys) I'd use 2 tsp of sugar and
salt, 2 tsp of enhancer, but never more than a bit above a flat teaspoon of
dry yeast.

Occasionally for evening guests I'll make a loaf without a second long rise
- but it's never the equal of our daily morning bread...

Bill
[de-lurking from Oz...

 >From: "Ben McGehee" <Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu>
 >Subject: Re: overnight rise
 >Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:28:02 -0400
 >

 >Lobo writes:
 >  >
 >  >I didn't make the overnight one ... it seemed silly to me.  Does anyone
 >  >know what the point is?  Have you tested such a recipe, and is it any
 >  >better than a recipe you can complete in one morning or evening?
 >
 >Don't call something silly if you've never tried it. I much prefer longer
 >rising times for my breads, buns, etc. The longer rising times brings out
 >more flavors in the dough because the bacteria have a longer time to work.
[snip]