Pitta bread

Nifcon@aol.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:36:29 EDT
v102.n035.3
 > Hi there,
 >
 > Yesterday I made pita bread for the first time, using a recipe from the KAF
 >
 > Baking Sheet series.  While the taste was excellent, the bread never really
 >
 > "poofed" up like a balloon during the baking process.  After cooling, it
 > did not separate into clean layers easily and was crisper than I expected.
 >
 > I baked the bread on a baking sheet placed on a preheated baking stone for
 > 2 minutes and then moved the sheet higher in the oven for 5 minutes (500 F)
 >
 > as directed in the recipe.
 >
 > Does anyone out there have any thoughts on what I should do differently
 > next time?
 >
 > Thanks!
 > LP

I find I get a massive expanson, into a thin walled balloon of bread if I
make the bread a little slacker than most recipes - I normally aim for about
68 - 70 % hydration - and slide the discs of dough directly onto the hot
stones - also, your recipe may say  this already, spritzing the top of the
dough before it goes into the oven keeps the top surface a little softer.

John