Re: Yeast

"Ben McGehee" <Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu>
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:26:16 -0400
v102.n036.7
Harold Bell writes:

 >Is there a difference between dry yeast and instant yeast.? None of the
 >yeast packages in the grocery store are labeled "instant"  yeast.

Technically, yes. Instant yeast is dried at a lower heat, so more of the
yeast is alive. It also takes less volume to make the bread. In my
experience, you can substitute. Anything marked "bread machine" would be
fine as well. It's usually regular dry yeast with a different label.  I
read that you should increase the amount by 1/3 if going from instant to
dry, but I usually don't bother with the calculations. My bread may take
just a little bit longer to rise, but then that gives it extra flavor which
is fine with me. His previous book, Crust and Crumb, details the
differences in the yeast better (but Baker's Apprentice is better for
introducing the baking method).

Ben McGehee