Re: overnight rise

"Ben McGehee" <Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu>
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:35:59 -0400
v102.n036.9
Ilene writes:

 >There's been several posts on overnight rises. Could someone help me out
 >on this?

 >I use a bread machine to do the two kneads, then finish by hand.

What I would do would be to take the bread out of the machine, shape it,
and put it right into the fridge. In the morning, take it out and let it
come to room temperature (at least an hour) and then let it rise until
ready to bake. You could also let it partially rise the night before and
put it into the fridge before it is fully, then take it out about an hour
before baking to finish rising. The first method will certainly keep it
from over-rising, but the second would take less time in the morning. Try
it out. As long as the bread doesn't fall in the fridge, you can stick it
in the oven whenever you want after you take it out if it is over-proofed.
I hope this helps. I do it with almost all of my bread so that I can time
everything right.

Ben McGehee