bagel recipe

Lobo <lobo119@att.net
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:23:04 -0700
v102.n038.22
 > From: "Richard L Walker" <rlwalker2@cox.net
 > Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:27:34 -0500

 > I'm trying to learn how to make bagels

The following recipe is for sourdough bagels.  To convert it to yeast
bagels, add 1 T. yeast and proof it in some of the water.  Substitute 4/5
cup water + 1 1/5 cup flour for 2 cups expanded sourdough.

2 c sourdough starter 2/3 c warm water 3 T sugar 1 t salt 3 1/2 c flour

3 qts  boiling water 2 T sugar added to water 1 egg, beaten

Mix sugar, salt, starter, water, and 2 1/2 C flour in large bowl until it
pulls away from sides of bowl.  Add flour to make firm dough (about 1
cup).  Knead until smooth; let rise in a greased bowl until doubled.

Punch down, knead briefly, and divide into 20 lumps.  Shape each lump into
a ball, then push a hole through to form bagel. (When I add raisins or
blueberries, I make a wide rope of the lump, line up the fruit on it, fold
dough over the fruit and press the edges together, then press the ends
together into a circle.  If you add frozen blueberries directly to the
dough it gets very wet, slimy and gray and you have to add more flour.  I
haven't tried fresh blueberries yet.)  Rise to double on greased sheets.

Bring 3 qts water + 2 T. sugar to a boil.  Adjust heat until boiling
steadily but gently.  Lift bagels off sheet with spatula, drop them into
water one at a time.  Boil 1 minute, then turn over for another
minute.   Lift out with slotted spoon onto baking sheet (drain if too
wet).  Brush them with beaten egg.

Bake 20 minutes at 375 F or until golden.