Jersey Artisan Bread

"alexmotown@prodigy.net" <alexmotown@prodigy.net>
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 21:32:43 -0400
v102.n039.17
Fellow Bakers-

I wanted to put a plug in for an incredible bakery in Chester, New Jersey.

If you desire/require superior bread and are slightly local, make a road
trip!  The store is called "Artisan," and wine, beer, and cheese are sold
along with the freshly baked bread.  The baker, a young guy named Sean,
seems to be living a professional baker's dream by becoming part owner of a
small place, and deliberately keeping volume low so he can keep quality
high.  He uses organic ingredients and various starters and sponges to
develop flavor.

Sean was nice enough to let me apprentice with him so I could finally get
an idea of how professional artisan bread-baking is done.  He acquired a
huge, triple-decker oven from Balthazar in NYC, where he used to work (he
also learned his trade at Amy's Bread in NYC).  He has developed his own
recipes and they are amazing.  I particularly recommend the rustic (tangy),
the olive baguette, and the currant-walnut (carb candy!!).

Alex