Question on using unglazed clay tiles

"Joshi, Anjali" <AJoshi@Bigfoot.com>
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:26:23 -0700
v102.n042.2
Hello everyone. My baking stone had cracked badly, and so I went out and
bought a few inexpensive unglazed clay tiles from the home improvement
store. (that was thanks to a suggestion from a few people on the list). They
worked well, did not crack, but the food stuck to the tiles too much and did
not scrape off easily. (I remember someone had also suggested using
fireplace tiles, but since the fireplace store was some distance away, I
tried the Home Depot first.)

Can anyone help me with ideas on what might have gone wrong? This how I
baked with them:
1. Soaked the tiles in cold water for 3-4 hours.
2. Set them in a cold oven and then turned the oven on.
3. Once the correct temp was reached, I used a peel to put the food (in this
case, pizza and mini-calzones) on the tiles, baked as usual.

All suggestions welcome :-)
Anjali