Weighing to bake

"Bev" <sinkcar@prodigy.net>
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:00:51 -0500
v102.n044.6
Good Morning Barb,

I know what you mean about conversions from cups to ounces/grams.  When I
received a scale a few years back, I searched all over for conversions and
found a mass of confusing data.  According to my readings, a cup of bread
flour weighs :4 oz, 4.5 oz, 4.2 oz, 5 oz.  Take your pick <g>  So, out of
frustration, I decided to wing it.

I've been cooking/baking for over 30 years and decided to trust my own
measurements.  I took out my measuring cups/spoons, my scales, a notebook
and a bunch of ingredients.  I measured a cup of flour as "I" have always
measured a cup of flour (stir, spoon and level) and weighed it.  Wrote down
the figure. Did the same for whole wheat flour, white sugar, brown sugar,
cocoa, water, etc.  And those are the measurements I use (incidentally, I
use 4.2 oz for white flour, 4.5 for ww, 7 for brown sugar and 6.5 for
white). Everyone won't agree with these measurements but they work for me
and my favorite recipes turn out fine as well.  New recipes seem to work
just fine as well although I'm not a perfectionist in the food department.
(if it smells great, I'll eat it<g>).

Happy weighing,

Bev C (who weighs on a Soehlne scale at a price of $50 or so)