Unglazed clay tiles as baking stones

Ellen Lee <leep@mkl.com>
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:09:21 -0400
v102.n045.2
Anjali:

I have had my baking stones so long that I can't recall whether I had to do
anything to them to keep dough from sticking, but I do know that I don't
soak them and I sprinkle them with a little cornmeal. I use unglazed clay
bread pans, and I seasoned them before initially using them as I did cast
iron fry pans and gridle. Wipe a piece of paper toweling or waxed paper
through solid vegetable shortening (I used Crisco) and rub a very thin coat
on the inside surfaces and rim of the pan; place in 300 degree oven for 30
minutes; repeat at least twice or until a "skin" is formed. I think you
could try the same treatment on the cooking surface of your clay tiles.

Ellen