Re: weighing and retarding

"Ben McGehee" <Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu>
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:59:31 -0400
v102.n045.8
Steven Leof writes:

 >But what is the weight I should assume correct for a
 >cup of water?

1 cup of water should weigh 8 ounces or whatever the metric equivalent
would be.

 >Does the weight of water vary in a colder or a warmer room?

Technically, yes. But is it enough for you or your scale to notice within
normal kitchen usage - no.

 >When substituting milk, buttermilk, olive oil and other liquids
 >in recipes should I assume that all liquids weigh the same?

No, you can't assume that. Think about it. Oil rises to the top of water,
therefore it must be lighter. My suggestion would be to make your own
conversion table. Measure out one cup of milk, oil, etc, and then weigh it.
It may not be perfect, but it's a way to start.

 >Should I reduce the amount of yeast I use for doughs that are
 >retarded? If so by how much?

I would say that you don't have to. Reducing the yeast and retarding the
doughs are both ways of increasing rising time. Combining the two makes for
an even longer rising time. While this may be desirable, it certainly isn't
necessary.

Ben McGehee