Re: Sourdough Pizza

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:58:26 -0700
v102.n056.8
On 1 Dec 2002 at 1:00, Masshlx@aol.com wrote:

 > Does anybody here have a recipe for sourdough pizza dough?
 > I've searched all over and haven't been able to find one.

The rec.food.sourdough FAQ has several recipes, and it can be found at

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

I found a recipe a number of years ago that works well for me. It makes a
thin, crisp crust.

I start with fully active starter, starter that is frothing.

1 cup deflated active starter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil (I use olive)
3/4 to 1 cup flour

If you have tiles in your oven, start by preheating the oven to 450 or 550F.

I mix the starter, salt, and oil, and then start adding the flour.  When I
have trouble stirring the mixture, I turn it out and knead it.  You want a
soft, pliable dough. If you knead in too much flour, the dough won't roll
out well.

Once the dough is well kneaded, cover it and let it sit for 1/2 hour or
so.  If you haven't started preheating the oven yet, now is a good time to
do so.  Once the dough has sat for the 1/2 hour, roll it out to the size
you want.  I usually go for about a 14 inch diameter pizza.

Brush with a bit more oil, top as desired, and bake for 10 to 20 minutes
depending on the toppings, the temperature, and how done you like your pizza.

A recent favorite was about 1/4 pound of shrimp (pre- cooked, cleaned and
shelled), and the same amount of cooked asparagus spears.  That was covered
with 8 - 12 ounces of shredded mozerella.

When we have extra sourdough starter, we tend to make it into pizza shells,
partially pre-bake them, and freeze them.  We pull 'em out of the freezer,
top them and bake them.  Better than digorno.  Better than
delivery.  Better than bobolli.

Hope this helps,
Mike
MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com