Dakota Bread for Barb Ross

"Scullery Maid" <scullerymaid@hotmail.com>
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:36:25 -0600
v102.n056.9
Here's a recipe based on the Dakota Bread from Cafe Latte in St. Paul,
Minn.   It's from the cookbook Heartland Cooking - Breads by Frances Towner
Giedt.  For years I'd been wanting to make a bread like the wonderful bread
we had at a bakery in Rapid City, South Dakota.  Well, this is it!  It's
great for morning toast.

The recipe is for a bread machine, but I don't have one, so I use a food
processor (knead it without the seeds, then knead in the seeds by hand, one
rise in a bowl, then another rise in a heavy 8x4 inch pan, and bake at 375
F about 35 minutes to an internal temp of 205 F or so).  You may have to
add a little extra flour.  Hope you like it!

-Mary

1 lb. loaf:

3/4 cup plus 1 Tbl. spring water (75 to 80 F)
1 1/2 cups white bread flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup cracked wheat (I used #3 bulgur which I soaked in boiling
   water for 5 minutes, then drained)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. honey
2 tsp. gluten
1 Tbl. canola oil
1 tsp. rapid-rise yeast or 2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 tsp. sesame seeds
2 tsp. poppy seeds

Put all ingredients except the seeds in the bread pan and assemble the
bread machine according to mfr's instructions.  Select whole grain cycle,
dough, or manual cycle and light crust setting, if available.  Finely chop
8 of the pumpkin seeds; set aside.  Add all the remaining seeds after the
beep or toward the end of the first knead, following your bread machine's
instructions for raisin bread.  For added crunch, sprinkle the chopped
pumpkin seeds on top of the loaf after the final rise.  (I prefer topping
with a lot of whole pumpkin seeds after brushing the loaf with King
Arthur's Bread Shine.)  Bake and cool as directed.

For 1 1/2 lb. loaf:

1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tbl. water
2 cups white bread flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup cracked wheat
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbl. honey
1 Tbl. gluten
1 1/2 Tbl. canola oil
2 tsp. rapid-rise yeast or 1 Tbl. active dry
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 Tbl. sesame seeds
1 Tbl. poppy seeds