Crusty French Rolls

"linda grande" <lgrande99@hotmail.com>
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:38:47 +0000
v102.n058.6
I ran across this recipe just before Thanksgiving and made them up for our
holiday dinner.  They were extraordinarily good and I've made them just
about once a week since.

Crusty Rolls

NOTES: If making up to 1 day ahead, cool, wrap airtight, and store at room
temperature. The crust softens as rolls stand; to recrisp, heat on a rack
in a 400 F oven until crisp, about 5 minutes. (At mile-high altitude,
shaped rolls rise in about 1/3 less time.)

MAKES: 20 rolls

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 package active dry yeast
2 large egg whites
About 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
About 2 tablespoons olive or salad oil
Cornmeal
1 large egg yolk

1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup warm (about 110 F) water, sugar, salt,
and yeast; let stand until yeast is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in egg
whites, 1 cup flour, and 2 tablespoons oil.

2. Add 2 1/2 more cups flour and stir until incorporated. Scrape dough (it
is soft) onto a well-floured board and dust with more flour. Knead until
smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as required to prevent
sticking.

3. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn over to coat. Cover bowl with
plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1
hour. Punch dough down, then knead briefly on a lightly floured board to
expel air.

4. Divide dough into 20 equal pieces and shape each into a ball that is
smooth on top. As you shape balls, dip bottoms in cornmeal. Set about 1 1/2
inches apart on an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Rub tops lightly with
oil, drape with plastic wrap, and let rise until puffy, about 30 minutes.

5. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water to blend. Brush
rolls lightly with egg yolk mixture.

6. Put a 10- by 15-inch pan on lowest rack of a 400 F oven and pour in
about 1/4 inch of boiling water. Put another oven rack just above bottom
one. Bake rolls on this rack until richly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Transfer rolls to a rack to cool. Serve warm or cool.