Re: Jewish corn bread

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:08:07 -0700
v102.n059.9
Corn is a generic term used for all grains.  Jewish Corn Bread, sometimes
called Korn bread, has a lot of rye in it.

The only recipe that I know for this is in George Greenstein's book,
"Secrets of a Jewish Baker". George Greenstein was a baker in New York for
many years and felt the old recipes shouldn't be lost.  You can find copies
at http://www.half.com, http://www.amazon.com, http://www.buy.com and
probably at Jessica's Biscuit.  I'd also look at your local library.

I'd type in the recipe for you, but there are about 5 pages of the recipe,
and another 3 or so for the rye sour he uses to make the bread.

I made it and liked it.  I found my doctor was raised in New York City and
that he was a total bread nut, so I made a loaf for him and asked if it was
authentic.  With the exception of one mistake on my part (I kneaded in the
caraway seeds instead of rolling the dough in them), he said it was excellent.

Good luck,
Mike

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
"I just forgot to increment," he said, nonplussed.