Re: Jewish Corn Bread

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 20:41:24 -0500
v103.n001.15
In bread-bakers v102.n059.4 ...
 > From: Epwerth15@aol.com
 > Subject: Re: Jewish Corn Bread
 > Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:43:06 EST
 >
 > In answer to Kathy's question about Jewish Corn Bread...no it does not
 > contain cornmeal at all, although it may be baked on a  sprinkling of
 > cornmeal on the baking sheet.  It's basically Rye Bread, usually with
 > caraway seeds.  This recipe is from Helen Witty's "Better Than Store
 > Bought."  Hope it's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the recipe! One or two others posted essentially the same
recipe, and they looked so intriguing that I decided to make it.  Made a
couple of trivial modifications to it (depending on the supplies I had on
hand), and it resulted in one superb batch of rye bread! Made some homemade
turkey/noodle soup (stock from thanksgiving turkey leftovers) and the two
went wonderfully together.

I've had no luck making GOOD rye breads for years. This past year I've been
"cheating" by using some of the rye flavor enhanders that King Arthur
sells, and have gotten some good loaves. But this one is every bit as good!

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------