Sourdough bread not rising

torosebud1@webtv.net (Rose)
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:41:17 -0600 (CST)
v103.n001.16
I am just learning about sourdough breads. I have gotten some starter and
books from Ed Wood. So I jumped right in and got the starter going and made
my first batch of regular bread and it handled great. It appeared like it
was going to rise quite well only it didn't. So I am wondering what part of
this picture I am missing. The culture activated very rapidly so I split it
in half and activated 2 jars instead of 1 and it only took 48 hours. I then
prepared the culture for baking which took another 18-24 hours. The dough
handled great and responded well. But that is as far as it went. It seemed
to run out of energy. The recipe said to let it proof for 2-3 hours. I let
it go for almost 8 and hardly got a rise out of it.

When starting a new type of bread I always follow the directions to the
letter and I know I'm close but just missing some detail. Thanks for any
pointers.