Instant Oat Meal Bread

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@ptialaska.net>
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:46:55 -0900
v103.n004.7
I needed a way to use packages of instant oatmeal that were accumulating.
My wife is quite selective in which kind she will eat and her preferences
change.  This has been a good daily bread for the last few months, but I am
about to move back to a hearth bread for a while.

* Exported from MasterCook *

    KV's Instant Oatmeal Bread - 2 pound loaf for bread machine kneading

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread Machine

   1                cup  lukewarm water
      1/2           cup  butermilk(* see notes)
   2           packages  instant Oatmeal
   3               cups  bread flour plus enough to fill cup with
                         instant oatmeal
   2        tablespoons  honey
      1/4           cup  vegetable oil
   1           teaspoon  salt (non-iodized preferred)
   1         tablespoon  gluten flour
   1         tablespoon  dough enhancer (optional)
   1         tablespoon  dry yeast; instant preferred but Costco
                         bulk works fine

Add ingredients in the order per manufactures instructions.  Mine starts
with liquids, honey, and oil.  I add the salt with the liquids.  Put the
instant oatmeal into a cup measure and add bread flour to fill the cup
level (4 cups total oatmeal and flour)

At the end of the dough cycle, turn the loaf into an oiled pan and gently
shape avoiding degassing the loaf.  Rise to pan level and bake in a
preheated 375 F oven for 30 minutes or until 190 F internal temperature.

If retarted under refrigeration, a couple of hours are needed to warm the
dough back to room temperature and restart the rising before baking.

Makes great toast and keeps well for several days.

   "Designed to use instant oatmeal languishing in the cupboard"
Yield:
   "1 "

                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1208 Calories; 64g Fat (46.9%
calories from fat); 25g Protein; 139g Carbohydrate; 18g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 1638mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 13 Fat; 2 1/2
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : *This bread works well with either fresh buttermilk, or adding 1/2
cup water and a tablespoon of buttermilk powder.  A good bread also results
if buttermilk is omitted, but loses the buttermilk tang.

Check the bread after it kneads to see if more water or flour is needed,
The objective is a soft dough with moderate hydration.  The dough starts
off looking wet, but as the oats soak up moisture, the dough firms up

I have always baked the bread in the oven and have not used the bake cycle
on the bread machine with this bread.

I use an instant read thermomenter to check the bread seeking 190 degree
temperature for a soft crumb and a light brown crust.

Taking the bread from the machine pan to the loaf pan carefully and
avoiding deflating results in a nice texture and a fast second rise before
baking.

I have both baked the same day as mixing and have stored under
refrigeration for up to 2 days.  Best texture is with same day baking but
flavors do improve with retarding the second rise under refrigeration.