Salt Sticks

dskramer@juno.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:13:47 -0500
v103.n005.9
SALT STICKS

The recent post to the listserv from "linda grande" for Crusty French Rolls
(v102.n058.6) also makes terrific salt sticks, the kind I remember from
Kohn's bakery in Trenton.  The key to the crisp crust and the white,
somewhat chewy crumb is probably the inclusion of egg whites in the
dough.  That might also explain their appearance on the bakery shelves
along with challah:  egg yolks in the challah and the whites in the salt
sticks.

For salt sticks, make one batch of Crusty French Roll dough (see note
below).  Punch the dough down after one rising, divide it into two balls,
let  rest 10 minutes, covered.  Work with one ball at a time.  Roll out
into a circle 10-12 inches in diameter, divide into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
One at a time, roll the triangular shaped piece of dough, starting at the
outer, long edge toward the tip, stretching somewhat as you roll. (like
croissants, or rugelach)  Put a dab of water on the tip to seal it.  Put
the roll on a greased baking sheet, tip under,  curving the ends into a
crescent.  Allow plenty of room between the rolls, they need it to brown
all over.  Let rise, covered, till puffy looking (15 minutes) if the salt
sticks of your childhood were somewhat dense with very defined shaping, or
till almost doubled for a larger, lighter roll.

Glaze the rolls with an egg beaten with a little water. (I have tried egg
white, egg yolk, and whole egg as glaze.  They all work fine.) Sprinkle
with coarse salt and optional caraway seed. (I use Pretzel Salt from King
Arthur

Bake  with steam in a preheated 400 F oven until brown (15-20 minutes). The
rolls can be removed from the baking sheets after ten minutes and placed
directly on a baking stone till done. Makes 16 rolls, approx. 2 ounces each

Enjoy.

Dorie

NOTE: If you need the Crusty French Roll recipe check the archives
http://www.bread-bakers.com/digests.html or email me directly.