bread knife

"Schmitt, Barbara E." <BSchmitt@goulstonstorrs.com>
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:41:25 -0500
v103.n005.13
Fredericka,

Much to my surprise, my first choice turned out to be a Black & Decker
electric knife with an ergonomically designed handle, that I paid about $20
for.  I have always appreciated good kitchen knives, so I only bought this
after reading several posts here about how well an electric knife works on
bread. I have been extraordinarily pleased with it -- it slices bread
easily, uniformly, and without tearing or compacting.  Even if I never use
it for anything other than bread, it will be money well spent.

My second choice, which works almost as well, is one of the "fiddle type"
bread knives -- looks like a violin bow, with a very sharp blade set into
it.  You sort of use it sideways.  The wooden portion of the knife, which
is a long, u-shaped piece running parallel to the blade, helps to give
uniform slices.  The knife is sold in both left and right handed versions
-- be sure to get the correct one!  This knife is a bit more expensive --
perhaps $30.

Good luck!

Barbara