Ounces

Nifcon@aol.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 09:41:50 EST
v103.n013.2
The one serious flaw in Peter Reinhart's Bread Bakers Apprentice is the use
of decimal fractions of an ounce - it has no rationale , is a bastardised
hybrid of decinal and avoidupois measurements with the worst features of
both and scales, electronic or balance, always measure in binary fractions
of an ounce so his quoted weights are unusable.

Why a baker of his skill and knowledge, in an otherwise marvellous book,
chose such  a ridiculous means of expressing weight is beyond me. I just
use the percentage formulae given in each recipe and work in metric, as
always - if you don't or won't use metric then you've got problems.

John