Re: baking stone

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:57:59 -0700
v103.n015.7
FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net> wrote:

 > I must have misunderstood the building supply source explanation
 > for a baking stone.

 > When I go into Lowe's or Home Depot and ask for "unglazed quarry
 > tiles", I get no response. I have found tiles like this at a local
 > ceramic craft shop where they are used in kilns.

 > At $6 for a 4 inch square....you figure the cost! Where are all those
 > tiles that people claim to buy for 99 cents!?!?

 > Please let me know directly at cohenfs@prodigy.net. I have some heavy
 > duty baking scheduled for next week.

Since I live too many miles from a Home Depot or Lowes, I went to the
local floor covering store.  They carry carpet, vinyl tile, and ceramic tile.

I picked up their odds'n'ends unglazed tiles for a song.  Enough tiles to
cover both racks of 5 ovens for about $20.00.

As to Home Depot and Lowes, you might go back and ask again. When you get a
blank look, ask the clerk how long they've been there. Then ask for someone
who has been in the flooring area for more than a few months.  I've heard
again and again that people have gotten tiles there.

Oh - before you bake with the tiles, wash them and then pre-heat them.  I
don't know why but all the ones I've bought have given off nasty smoke the
first time they were heated.

Good luck,
Mike
--