Re: Flour Question

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:18:43 -0700
v103.n016.6
Jhawkblu@aol.com asked:

 > Being diabetic, I have read that white flour is a no-no due to high
 > carb count.  Where does bread flour stack up against white flour?
 > Whole wheat is considered to be ok.

Please understand that the following words are intended with the greatest
of concern and kindness....

It's your body and your health, and barring reincarnation you don't get
another body. So, why would you trust your well being to people you don't
know and who have no stake in your health?  If you become ill or die
because we give you bad advice, it won't change our lives.  We'll be
saddened, but it won't change our lives.

Few, if any, of us are health care providers.  We're bakers.  And most of
us aren't professional bakers.  I doubt that many of us are expert in human
digestion, nutrition, diabetes, celiac, sprue, hypoglycemia, or any of the
other myriad ways the human body can go astray.

I strongly suggest you ask your health care provider or a diabetic support
group your question, not a group of strangers.

All this said, my understanding, which is without warranty, and which you
should verify with your health care professional is that the key issue is
how quickly sugars are metabolized.  An apple has the same amount of sugar
as a glass of apple juice, but the fiber in the apple makes it less quickly
available.  Similarly, the fiber in whole wheat flour slows the digestion
of the flour compared to the low fiber of all-purpose flour.  While bread
flour has more protein than all-purpose flour, it is also very low in
fiber, so I suspect it is no better for a diabetic or hypoglycemic than
all-purpose flour.

Now - go call your doctor's office and get the correct answer!
Mike
--
Mike Avery
MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com