Re: active dry yeast

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:41:20 -0700
v103.n016.7
FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net> asked:

 > I have been baking challah with either instant dry yeast or fresh
 > yeast which I buy from the baker. The fresh yeast has been giving me a
 > great product.

 > I had the chance to buy a food service pack of Red Star active dry. I
 > used it as specified in a recipe and result looked like an I Love Lucy
 > episode.

 > I use a 5 quart bucket for rising. Seven cups of flour and two
 > tablespoons of Red Star went from the two quart line to OVER THE TOP
 > in 15-20 minutes!

 > Cutting back to one tbs. slowed it so that it doubled in 25 minutes!

 > Is any one else having this problem with this or any other yeast?

WOW!!!!  I guess you need to get a baseball bat and beat it down!

More seriously, one of the mantra's I repeat a lot is that "haste is the
enemy of good bread".   I'd cut back the yeast to a teaspoon or so and see
what happens.  I'd be happy that I could use less of the yeast and get a
good rise.

Personally, I switched to sourdough about three years back, and really like
my sourdough Challah.  My theory is that almost any bread that dates back
farther than the 1880's started as a sourdough bread.  So, I return the
recipes to sourdough.  My recipe is is at
http://www.sourdoughhome.com/challah.html

Mike
--
Mike Avery