Pumpernickel

Gonzo White <gonzow@prodigy.net.mx>
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:59:19 -0500
v103.n027.8
Jim Neuman asked for a recipe for Pumpernickel.  This is my favorite.
Pumpernickel is normally made with a sour dough, this recipe makes its own
sour.  It takes two days but you don't have to keep a sour dough in the
fridge.  This recipe is for ABM's but I am sure you could make it by hand
if you so desired.

Our Favorite ABM Recipes from www.ClickOnCuernavaca.com

Quick Sour Pumpernickel

This is one of my favorite recipes. You can either make rolls or just leave
the dough in the ABM to make a loaf of bread. It must be started the night
before.  This gives you the real sourdough flavor without all the trouble
of keeping a pumpernickel sourdough starter.

Starter:

1 1/2 cups Milk
2 cups Rye Flour
2 Tbs Gluten
2 tsp yeast

Add the above ingredients to the ABM and let knead for about 10 minutes.
Reset the machine (turn it off) and leave the pan in the machine overnight
or 6-8 hours.

1/4 cup Coffee
2 Tbls Vegetable oil
1/4 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Sugar
2 Tbls Unsweetened Coco
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Caraway or Fennel seed
1 cup Whole wheat flour
2 Tbs Gluten (Optional)
1 1/3 cup Bread Flour
1/4 cup Raisins (optional)
1 teaspoon Black Food Color (Optional)

Add remaining ingredients and start machine as usual. If making the loaf in
the Machine use the specialty bread setting and add the raisins at the
beep. (If you add them to early they get ground up) You can usually find
the gluten, rye flour, black pumpernickel color  and whole wheat flour in a
health food store or you can buy it mail order from King Arthur Flour. If
you are going to make rolls use the dough setting. The raisins are very
good in the rolls. Using the dough setting on my Hitachi I add them at the
1:18 mark. When the dough is ready, roll out into a flat square. Form into
balls the size of a large Lemon. Press down and cover (I put 12 into a 13x9
pan and the rest in a cake pan. Let rise until doubled (1 hour) then cook
20 minutes at 350 F.

Makes about 15 rolls.