Fredericka, never fear. The Tarheel Baker is here.

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg)
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:09:45 -0400 (EDT)
v103.n034.8
Fredericka Cohen writes:
>My Carl's 1847 sourdough starter arrived today and I am ready to go!  I
>want to make sure that I am doing the correct....and delicious!...thing so
>I hope that the Tarheel Baker will send forth experienced instructions
>from North Carolina.

Yes, Fredericka, there is a Tarheel Baker.

I have never used Carl's 1847 sourdough starter, but have worked with
several other dried starters.  So, after hearing your damsel in distress
cry, I immediately googled Carl's 1847 sourdough starter and got his
instructions.  While I agree with most of it, there are a few points with
which I take issue.  (Carl's instructions will be found at the bottom of
this message.

First, I would not add potato flakes or potato water to the mixture. You
are not looking for the yeast that lives on potatoes (or grapes or anything
else for that matter).  That's fine if you are making potato bread, but not
sourdough bread.

Second, I would also cut down the water from 1 cup to 3/4 of a cup for the
regular feeding.

Third, I would never add cider vinegar, milk, or sugar to the starter. True
sourdough starter needs only water, flour, and wild yeasts.

I find that once you get your starter activated properly, you will probably
have to feed it once a month.  I must admit to having neglected mine for as
much as two months with no loss in efficacy.  Gee, I don't get to use that
word too much.  ;-

Two more things:  Always use bread flour and if a pink liquid forms on top
of your starter it is gone.  Throw it out and start over.

Please let me know when the bread, cheese, and coffee will be ready.

Good luck.  Bob the Tarheel Baker

Carl's Instructions:

To REACTIVATE the starter from the powdered form:

1. Dissolve the contents of the packet with 3/4 cup warm (90 degree) water,
add 3/4 cup white bread flour, and 1 teaspoon sugar in glass or plastic
container (NOT METAL!).

2. Place bowl (covered with damp towel) in warm place (the oven with the
light on is about 85F - Test it first!) for up to 48 hours. It will get
bubbly from the fermentation. IT'S ALIVE!!

3. Mix in 1 cup warm (95F) water, add 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon dried
potatoes or use potato water and let sit in the warm place till bubbly
again. Don't worry about the lumps as the fermentation will take care of them.

4. Now, you can store it in the frig till needed. It may develop a clear
liquid on top, if so, stir it back in as this is alcohol - keep it happy!
It will need feeding about every couple of weeks, just add 1 cup warm skim
milk or water, 1 T Sugar and 1 cup flour. Once in a while add 1 tablespoon
of dried potatoes (or use potato water). If it looks sick, add 1 T CIDER
vinegar to give it a kick in the behind! Give the excess to a friend or you
can keep some of it in the freezer for several months between feedings.

When you want to bake something, bring the starter up to room temperature,
mix in 1 cup flour, 1 c warm water or skim milk and let sit overnight to
ferment. The next morning, remove one cup to keep in a covered jar as a
starter for use next time, feed it, then do your baking.