Bob the Tarheel Baker needs help...

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg)
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:04:28 -0400 (EDT)
v103.n036.9
I have a recipe that I have been unable to convert to Ed Okie's cold start
method and wondered if he or his bone-idle Yorkshire buddy might give me
some help.  I just can't figure out how to start this one in a cold oven.

Here's the recipe:

Afghan Tread Bread

One generous handful of baking soda

2.2 pounds of salt

88 pounds of flour

35.2 pounds of water (Afghan bakers measure by weight, not volume)

Mix all ingredients in a standard-size washtub.  Knead with hands until it
forms a stiff dough.  Cover.  Let rise one hour.

Punch down and shape into squares, roughly the size of hamburger buns.
Smooth dough into a flat shape, and punch with fingers to form waves in the
dough.  Spread dough on any flat surface covered with water and flour.

Slap the bread on inner wall (here's where I have problems, Ed and John) of
open pit oven that is heated to about 400 F for 4-5 minutes. Remove from
the heat and let cool for 5 minutes or more.

Serves 200 (Servings not reflective of troop strength in the Orgun-E
Valley; the figure is classified by the U.S. Department of Defense.  If you
have fewer troops, adjust amounts accordingly.

Source:  Nik Ziaman, baker at the U.S. Army Base in the Orgun-E Valley of
southeastern Afghanistan.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Bob the Tarheel Baker