French-style Sourdough Starter from Artisan Baking Across America

"Steven Leof" <sleof.sln25@london.edu>
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:28:34 +0100
v103.n036.11
 Maggie Glezer

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. Two days ago I decided to take the
plunge and make the French-style Sourdough Starter from Artisan Baking
Across America by Maggie Glezer. I used dark rye flour rather than the
whole rye flour specified because I had some to hand. The mixture bubbled
up, more than doubled in size, and smelled and looked awful. It subsided
and I fed it.

The recipe indicates not to expect the chef to have risen very much, if at
all by the end of the next day or two. It's now three and a half hours
after feeding time and the chef has almost tripled! At the moment there is
a slight aroma. The surface of the dough has a few cracks and it's tacky
but not sticky. It isn't riddled with tiny bubbles but there are some.
Should I be patient or will the chef require feeding soon? I've not done
this before and I'm not sure what to expect....

Thanks

Regards,
Steven Leof