RE: Sea salt and bread baking

"Leigh Davisson" <leighd@attglobal.net>
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 07:18:54 -0700
v103.n037.5
Steven - for over a year now I have used nothing except sea salt when
baking bread (and I bake several loaves a week).  It works
beautifully.  You have to be aware of two things.  You use more coarse sea
salt than fine salt.  I use 1/3 to 1/2 more coarse sea salt than fine salt
called out in the recipe. You also have to make sure to knead it long
enough that the salt is well distributed.  If it is not mixed enough, you
can get pockets of salty bread. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer, and as long as
you mix on medium for at least four minutes, it will integrate fully.

Leigh