Mixing dough in a Cuisinart

"Regina Rectanus" <smfarm@bellsouth.net>
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:03:07 -0400
v103.n037.7
After reading several postings regarding making bread in a food processor,
I got out my recipe books on using a food processor for mixing bread and
decided to try that method.  I have a Cuisinart, 12 cup capacity bowl, so
decided it would be adequate.  I used a recipe from a book entitled "Food
Processor Cooking Quick & Easy" by Greg Patent and published by Ten Speed
Press.

The recipe I chose was for 43% Whole Wheat Bread.  It was simple, and easiy
and it was a huge success which hasn't always been true when trying to get
a tender loaf using whole wheat flour and bread flour.  The only change in
the recipe was the addition of 1 T. of Vital Wheat Gluten which I always
use when making bread with whole wheat flour.  Recipe follows:

1    tablespoon  active dry yeast
l/2   teaspoon sugar
3    Tablespoons warm water 105 to 115 F.
2    cups bread flour (10 ounces).  (I always use King Arthur Flour)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (7 1/2 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2    tablespoons firmly packed light-brown sugar
1    tablespoon of Vital Wheat Gluten
2    tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 2 pieces
1    cup of ice water.  (I added one or two ice cubes and let them almost
melt before pouring the water into the flour)

Method:

Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water in 1-cup glass measure.  Stir and
let stand until yeast is dissolved and mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.

Insert dough blade (I used the dough blade and not the metal blade).  Put
flours, salt, brown sugar, vital wheat gluten and butter into work bowl and
process for 20 seconds.  Add yeast mixture, start machine and add water
through feed tube in steady stream only as fast as the flour absorbs
it.  When dough forms ball, process for 1-1/2 minutes to knead.  Dough
should clean sides and bottom of work bowl.  If dough is too dry, add water
by teaspoons, with machine running; if it is too wet, add bread flour by
tablespoons.  Dough should be slightly sticky and very elastic when
kneading is complete.  Pull and stretch dough between your hands to test
consistency; if necessary, return dough to work bowl to process a few
seconds more. (The dough was just the right consistency and came free from
the work bowl when emptying it into the plastic bag).

Transfer dough to a lightly floured 1-gallon plastic bag.  (I like this
part; no extra bowls to wash, no special covering for the rising dough).
Squeeze out air and seal bag tightly.  (I used a large 3 cup Pyrex
measuring cup and set the plastic bag inside and turned the edges of the
Ziploc baggie outward which made the bag stay open, making it easier to
scoop all the dough from the processor bowl into the baggie).

Set aside to rise at room temperature until dough has almost tripled in
volume, 1 1/2  to 2 hours.  (Alternatively, place dough in refrigerator for
several hours or overnight; it will rise slowly in the cold.)  Punch down
risen dough and shape into loaf.  Place in a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf
pan.  Cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap and towel and let rise
in warm place until dough is light and almost tripled in size.  Center of
loaf should be about 2 inches above rim.

Adjust oven rack to lower third position and preheat over to 400 F.  (I
like to start all my breads out at 400 deg. to "set the bread" for 10 to 12
minutes and then reduce the temperature to 375 deg. for an additional 35
minutes.  Total baking time - 45 minutes.)  Turn loaf out onto rack to
cool. Makes one 1 1/2 pound loaf.

Note:  1) Timing is crucial when using a food processor.  The seconds turn
into minutes in a blink of an eye and the dough will heat up quickly and
'cook' the yeast, negating its ability to rise.  I have a timer on my
overhead microwave which can be set to seconds and I feel that I owe the
success of this loaf due to the precise timing called for in mixing the dough.

Note: 2) There are pros and cons about weighing flour vs. using measuring
cups.   I decided to go with weighing.  I live in Florida where the
humidity adds extra moisture to the flour, so weighing worked out well for me.

Note: 3) Much has been said pro and con about King Arthur Flour.  I
discontinued using other popular brands since my grocery chain started
carrying their Flour and use it exclusively because of superior results
that I can count on, both the bread flour and the flour for general baking.

Several months ago, the Smithsonian Magazine did an article about the King
Arthur Flour Company and its history. One part of the article cited the
company's rejection of an entire carload of flour because it was not up to
their specifications and the difference between what was shipped and KA
Flour specifications seemed so small a tolerance as to fall into the
'pickey' range, but King Arthur would not accept the shipment.  For those
whose stores don't carry King Arthur, a request to the manager to order a
trial shipment might be helpful.