Re: window pane test

lfc@juno.com
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:21:19 -0500

>The window pane test doesn't seem to work for whole wheat doughs, at least
>not in my hands. My father theorized that the bran will tend to "cut" the
>gluten strands as you stretch it out for the test. I don't know if that
>really makes sense or not, but it seemed a reasonable enough explanation
>that I stopped worrying about the windowpane test and went back to baking
>bread.

I make whole wheat and wondered why I could knead and knead and not get a
window pane!  Hallelujah for that explanation.  My bread turns out fine
when it is even textured, a little less sticky and I can make a nice ball
out of it.  It just 'feels right.'  So why did I chastise myself for not
kneading long enough to get a good window pane?  Oh well, thanks so much
for your info.

Linda