RE: Consistent results with homemade bread flour and Giusto's

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:19:18 -0700
v103.n038.13
Sorry...just catching up on past issues...

Sorry if I mentioned this before, but Anita's addition of powdered
diastatic malt to Giusto's flour is particularly important... Most flours
have malt already added (check the ingredient list on your bag). But I
called up Giusto's and found out that they don't! Diastatic malt contains
the enzymes that break down the broken starch molecules into sugars and
acids. This provides food for yeast and the sweet & sour taste we like on
bread.

Hope this is of interest.

Allen