Re: pain de mie

Makrma4@aol.com
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:01:39 EDT
v103.n039.9
Frederika,

There is a pretty decent pain de mie recipe on the King Arthur website.  I
have their pain de mie pan and have used their recipe (which is sized to
fit their pan).

I do have a nice sandwich/toast bread recipe which I adapted from a recipe
called Anne's Egg Twist Bread which was published in an edition of the
Penzey's catalog (<http://www.penzeys.com/> for reference).  I have not
tried it in my pullman pan but I think it would work very well.  It makes a
lovely high loaf in a 9 x 5 bread pan.

(All measures American)

For bread machine:

1 cup warm water (approx. 120F)
2 T  sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 T   butter
2  eggs
3 3/4 cup flour (I'm using a locally milled all-purpose)
2 t. active dry yeast*

Place ingredients in bread machine in above order.  Set machine for dough.
When cycle is complete, remove dough to greased counter  and shape into
loaf. Let rise, covered with plastic wrap, 45 minutes to 1 hour or until
dough is even with top of pan or slightly (suit your own preference)
higher.  Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when
tapped or the crust is the color you want, etc.  I bake this in the pan on
a stone and the oven spring is fabulous.

*Yeast:  2 t. is a bit excessive to me but it seems to work here.  Again,
suit your own preference.

Best of luck!

Yvonne