To Mike about the Windowpane advice --

lfc@juno.com
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:51:05 -0500
v103.n039.11
Thanks so much for the advice.  I purchased a used copy of Breads from
Laurel's Kitchen about a month ago and I WILL use her Loaf for Learning
recipe, as you suggested.  I am anxious to improve my loaves.

You mentioned  "I have four probable reasons you can't produce a
windowpane. 1. Low quality flour.  Try another, less coarse, flour."

Question:  I grind my own flour and it is a little coarse.  I love the
flour and my mill doesn't grind any finer.  Would that mean that it would
be impossible to get it kneaded well enough for 'windowpanes'?  As for the
flour amount and kneading time.  I let it remain a little sticky and don't
add more flour than a sprinkle on my work surface.  I knead in my
kitchenade for 6 or 8 minutes and then by hand for another 10 minutes for a
2-loaf recipe.   Any other suggestions?  I have been getting tasty loaves,
but wish they would be a little softer.

My recipe is:

2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter
2 T agave (or honey)

Microwave until melted and warm.  Pour in mixing bowl.
Add:
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 tsp. Yeast
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten  (don't try it without it)]

Mix and let it proof the yeast for 5 or 10 minutes
Add:
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
more flour 1/2 cup at a time until it cleans the bowl and is just a little
sticky, but not gooey.

I knead 6 to 8 min. in Kitchenaid, then at least 10 minutes by hand until
smooth and feels good.

Place in covered bowl to rise until at least doubled in bulk. Gently
deflate, reshape into a ball, cover to rise again. Divide in two and shape
into loaves.  Place in greased bread pans and cover.  Let rise double or
just over the edge of the pan.  Spray top with oil.  Bake at 350 F until
brown on bottom.

Thanks for any suggestions any of you may have.  I just love reading what
ya'll share and trying it all out.

Linda