Re: Tips and Tricks

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:52:07 -0600
v103.n040.3
Ed Okie wrote:

>Other tradition-changing methods: I never oil my mixing bowl for rising
>dough. After the mix period, the dough stays in the bowl for whatever rise
>(ferment) time required. Plastic wrap covers the bowl. The "Stretch-Tite"
>(yellow box) brand is the best I've come across, less than $3 for 250
>feet; clings better than any other brand, and is heavy duty in thickness.
>Highly recommended.

I had to try this, and found that I'm better off oiling my bowl.

Why?

The dough sticks a lot less if you oil it.  With a fragile dough, you can
often get the dough out intact.  With an un-oiled bowl, the dough sticks
and you'll have the joy of prying the dough out and deflating it.

This matters more for some breads than others, of course.  And your mileage
may vary.

Mike
--
Mike Avery