Re: To Mike about the Windowpane advice --

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:32:33 -0600
v103.n041.6
lfc@juno.com wrote:

>Thanks so much for the advice.  I purchased a used copy of Breads from
>Laurel's Kitchen about a month ago and I WILL use her Loaf for Learning
>recipe, as you suggested.  I am anxious to improve my loaves.

Cool... it's a very good book.

>You mentioned  "I have four probable reasons you can't produce a
>windowpane. 1. Low quality flour.  Try another, less coarse, flour."
>
>Question:  I grind my own flour and it is a little coarse.  I love the
>flour and my mill doesn't grind any finer.  Would that mean that it would
>be impossible to get it kneaded well enough for 'windowpanes'? As for the
>flour amount and kneading time.  I let it remain a little sticky and don't
>add more flour than a sprinkle on my work surface.  I knead in my
>kitchenade for 6 or 8 minutes and then by hand for another 10 minutes for
>a 2-loaf recipe.   Any other suggestions?  I have been getting tasty
>loaves, but wish they would be a little softer.

It's not a matter of impossible, just more difficult.  On my sourdough home
page, I suggest that people start easy.  If they've never baked, I suggest
they use yeast until they get the hang of baking, and then move into sourdough.

Similarly, here I'd suggest going to the grocery store and getting a sack
of commercial whole wheat flour.  Both Wheat Montana's Prairie Gold and
Hungarian High Altitude Whole Wheat flour work very well.  Play with them,
then move back to using your regular home ground flour.

The mill you use can have a major impact on your results.  For some time I
used a KitchenAid grainmill attachment.  And it made very coarse flour.  I
switched to a WhisperMill and the difference is night and day.  The flour
is much finer, and the loaves rise much better.  So, how yougrind the grain
does make a big difference.

>My recipe is:
>
>2 1/2 cups milk
>1/2 stick butter
>2 T agave (or honey)
>
>Microwave until melted and warm.  Pour in mixing bowl.
>Add:
>3 cups whole wheat flour
>3 1/2 tsp. Yeast
>1/2 cup vital wheat gluten  (don't try it without it)]
>
>Mix and let it proof the yeast for 5 or 10 minutes
>Add:
>1 egg
>1 1/2 tsp salt
>more flour 1/2 cup at a time until it cleans the bowl and is just a little
>sticky, but not gooey.
>
>I knead 6 to 8 min. in Kitchenaid, then at least 10 minutes by hand until
>smooth and feels good.
>
>Place in covered bowl to rise until at least doubled in bulk. Gently
>deflate, reshape into a ball, cover to rise again. Divide in two and shape
>into loaves.  Place in greased bread pans and cover.  Let rise double or
>just over the edge of the pan.  Spray top with oil.  Bake at 350 F until
>brown on bottom.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions any of you may have.  I just love reading what
>ya'll share and trying it all out.

I usually make simpler breads.  A common problem is adding oil too
soon.  It can interfere with the gluten development process in
kneading.  If you hold back the oil or butter - which would include the
butter and the egg, and just knead the dough, and then add the butter for
the last few minutes of kneading, it will help give you a lighter loaf.

Personally, I consider adding wheat gluten to be a crutch.  I'd rather see
you learn how to bake without it.  Whole wheat flour has more protein, more
gluten, than white flour.  Handle the dough right and you don't need to add
gluten.

The other common error is too much flour kneaded in.  The amounts you list
don't look excessive.

Good luck,
Mike
--