Re: checking hydration

Robert and Monica Tittle <historynut@charter.net>
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:23:33 -0500
v103.n042.9
>--add 10-15% additional liquid:  usually I add the amount called for in
>the recipe, mix briefly, then check the hydration before adding a little
>more water;

Could you explain checking the hydration a little more?  I was taught to
cook by my wonderful dearly departed Mamaw and as you can guess she was of
the 'until it looks/feels right' school of cooking and Mamaw never saw a
bag of whole wheat flour in her life so I have very little idea what to
look for when checking the hydration of my doughs.

I've been baking for years, but as you all know there is always something
you can do to make your bread better and I'd really like to understand what
this means.

Monica and Robert Tittle
historynut@charter.net