Bread Encounter

"David A Barrett" <Dave.Barrett@lawpro.ca>
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:09:18 -0400
v103.n042.10
I was at the Louvre the other day (I just love saying that, but we were on
vacation in Paris) and we really needed a stop for lunch.  Given that a cup
of coffee *inside* the Louvre was 4 Euros, we decided to make an excursion
out to a cafe nearby for lunch.  We ended up at a semi "self-service" cafe
place and picked up a ham sandwich and a quiche.  I can't stress enough
that this was just about as close to fast-food as you can get without going
to a McDonalds in France (which I've never done).  It wasn't gourmet, it
wasn't special, it was just a sandwich shop and the quiche was absolutely
horrid (about what you'd expect at a fast-food place).

The ham sandwich?  Pain a L'Ancienne!

And that, my friends, is what we're missing over on this side of the
Atlantic.  That you can go into a crumby sandwich cafeteria and, as a
matter of course, get your ham sandwich on truly awesome bread.

Dave Barrett