hi-altitude bread

Larry T <the.casual.baker@att.net>
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:10:42 -0700
v103.n044.10
Do bread recipes need to be adjusted for high altitudes? Every year I cook
Satuday dinner for a week-end dance camp up in the mountains, at about 6000
ft. elevation. Next year, since the dinner I'm thinking of preparing is
simpler that what I usually do, I'm thinking of baking fresh bread for the
40-or-so participants. I'm thinking of using either the pan de campagne or
ciabtta recipes from The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

What I want to do is

1. Make the pre-ferments at home.

2. Mix the final dough at home, and place in the fridge. They don't have
any mixers at the lodge, and I don't want to lug my Kitche-Aid up there.
Nor do I want to have to hand-knead it there. There are other, more fun
things to do.

3. Try to keep the dough cool during transport, and refrigerate at the camp
until Saturday morning, when I'll take it out and let it warm and rise,
then bake it.

Does anyone have any suggestions re the altitude or the prep? Should I
shape the loaves at step 2 or Saturday morning?

Thanks for your input.

Larry