refreshing sourdough starters

<Njretired@copper.net>
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:59:02 -0500
v103.n045.4
About a year and a half ago, someone (I looked in the archives and think I
found that it was Alan Jackson) mentioned that they had been using the same
starter for almost 8 years.  He described that he only refreshed it every
1-2 weeks or so, and that it had never failed to work for him.

The starter that was given to me is a thin, very sweet liquid.  It tastes
great, but the "refreshing" (with 1 c. hot water, 3 T. potato flakes, and
1/2 c. sugar) twice per week is killing me!

Alan, would you please share your starter recipe?  You mentioned that you
obtained it from a FAQ off the Internet.  Any help with a mixture that
doesn't require so much tending will really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeanette in South Texas